coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house 首頁 coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house
??????, ??, ??????

常見問題常見問題   搜尋搜尋   會員列表會員列表   會員群組會員群組   會員註冊會員註冊 
 個人資料個人資料   登入檢查您的私人訊息登入檢查您的私人訊息   登入登入 

2012 Esmeralda bidding

發表新主題   回覆主題    coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house 首頁 -> ???
上一篇主題 :: 下一篇主題  
發表人 內容
boblam
Site Admin

註冊時間: 2007-05-04
文章: 294

發表發表於: 星期四 五月 17, 2012 10:17 pm    文章主題: 2012 Esmeralda bidding 引言回覆

2012 Esmeralda bidding

There are at least 29 bidders for 67 lots of coffee. Total value for the bidding is at US$806,133 or $40.11/lb 23 times over coffee C price.

The highest bid went to ESN09-02 Mario Natural for $66/lb from Saza Coffee of Japan. The second highest bid was a tie at $65.5/lb on ES01-01 Montaña by Saza Coffee from Japan and ESN09-01 Mario Natural by Giuli Co. Ltd from Taiwan. The fourth highest bid was ES01-02 Montaña by Giuli.

Top five winning bid:

1. InterAmerican Coffee GmbH won 16 lots at an average price of $39.26 and missed its bids for 4 lots by an average of $1.49/lb. Its average cover bid price is $44.01.

2. Wataru & Company under two bidding number 37 and 231 with a total of 15 winning bids but lost 14 bids with approximately $0.75/lb too short

3. Campos Coffee showed Aussie café supremacy to the world and won 5 lots with an average price of $39. Of interest is Campos cover bid which also came in at 5 lots at an average bid of $40.5/lb, about $0.8/lb too short on average.

4. The fourth is Haru International of Taiwan: Haru got 4 lots at $36.19/lb and missed 4 lots also at $31.5/lb, about $0.5/lb short on average

5. Saza Coffee of Japan is the fifth winner, getting 4 lots at an average price of $55.19 (meaning got only the high quality lots) and its cover bid for three lots it didnt get was at $32.09/lb on average, about $0.5/lb too short

Empty-handed bidder: There are three bidders that went back home empty handed. Maybe we will never know who they are as they dont win anything at all so there is no identity shown to the public. These bidders and the lots they missed are as follow

876 Baru ES07-09 and ES07-12
452 Leon ES05-05, ES05-05 and ES05-08
656 Caballeriza ES06-08 and ES06-09

They all came as close as $0.50 less than winning bids of lots they had their eyes on.

Geography: In term of country, Japan came first in term of bidding value and number of bids won, followed by the US and Australia though almost all of Aussie coffee bought are from real café operations while others are mostly coffee brokers.

My note:

I should have fully done last year to compare the result but I have no time to do that.

Lots of coffee was won by brokers so we will never know where it ended up until we see them.

On the Australia rising, I felt relatively uncomfortable with Campos winning so many bids vs. last year Campos only sought out only less expensive lots like Naranjo and Caballeriza. If Campos managed to get all the bids it missed by a small margin, it could have up to ten lots of Esmeralda in 2012 with three of the missed bids on the higher end of the quality including one Mario Carnaval and one Mario San Jose.

The reason Im concerned is from the coffee I had from Campos which was dark no matter in filtered or espresso which is not suitable for delicate coffee like Esmeralda. Most Campos has a domineering dark roast tone with tiny hint of tasting notes/acidity when hot; once cool down its insipid roasty brown liquid with all hints of tasting note collapsed in front of your eye in the cup.

I had 3-4 bags of different coffees from generic, microlots to COE from Campos on different times and cafés and they all tasted the same. On top of that, the Aussie market is mostly espresso driven so this might be what fit the market well but not what the current third wave origin oriented that started in North America and the reason of the good coffee renaissance is all about.

Nevertheless, I will give Campos another try to be fair. However, the experience with Campos coffee still left lots of bitter taste in my mouth, literally and emotionally. I am still waiting for Campos, which I was told, was one of the favorite cafés in Australia, to prove itself they can do justice to fine and delicate coffee, particularly Esmeralda but I wasnt thrilled at all when I found out the result. True that some used Esmeralda for espresso but whether it was roasted to the right level and whether thats not equal to flushing the money down the drain

Time will tell.

回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
bigtrumpet

註冊時間: 2010-05-19
文章: 300

發表發表於: 星期五 五月 18, 2012 12:48 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

How about the cupping note from this year's bidding?
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期五 五月 18, 2012 1:51 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

http://auction.stoneworks.com/ES2012/final_results.html

Click on each lot n u should see tasting note except the new dry process Esmeralda some said it's bad and a waste of coffee.

boblam 在 星期六 五月 19, 2012 12:02 am 作了第 1 次修改
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
SimonCHAN

註冊時間: 2008-05-31
文章: 270
來自: HKSAR

發表發表於: 星期五 五月 18, 2012 11:01 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

I just wonder why people would spend time doing paper work instead of buying some to taste. Rolling Eyes

SimonCHAN
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期五 五月 18, 2012 11:56 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

Good question. People are different is an answer I would say. Some people just tastes it. Some people does paperwork. Some people does paperwork and tastes it. What combination I left out? Whatever people enjoy, I think it's great.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
jackckck

註冊時間: 2010-08-05
文章: 36

發表發表於: 星期六 五月 19, 2012 12:12 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

Thank you very much for sharing Bob.. Very informative indeed! Very Happy
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期六 五月 19, 2012 5:06 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

jackckck: you're welcome.
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
Peter

註冊時間: 2011-02-18
文章: 243

發表發表於: 星期六 五月 19, 2012 5:18 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

Very interested to get some pounds of green for roasting. Simon, please let me know if you come across any channel which sell them to Hong Kong.

Oh, by the way, do any of you still keep some 2010, or even 2009 green Esmeralda and would like to sell some to me?
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
SimonCHAN

註冊時間: 2008-05-31
文章: 270
來自: HKSAR

發表發表於: 星期日 五月 20, 2012 3:08 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

Dear Peter,

Which lot do you want?

SimonCHAN
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
Peter

註冊時間: 2011-02-18
文章: 243

發表發表於: 星期日 五月 20, 2012 3:51 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

SimonCHAN 寫到:
Dear Peter,

Which lot do you want?

SimonCHAN

Dear Simon,

?????2012: ?????LOT?, ????, ???3lb???????
?????2009/2010??: ??PM??????????

Thanks!
回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
boblam
Site Admin

發表發表於: 星期日 八月 19, 2012 11:22 pm    文章主題: 引言回覆

The swift of the aroma of the bag that was just opened and the bean chew tell me it's the same old Campos roast profile. My concern on how Campos treated Esmeralda came through... Sad

And this is one of the five lots Campos won. Only if Proud Mary of Melbourne happens to be the one who takes care of this bean.

Item number: ES06-06
High bid: $32.00/lb
Description: Caballeriza
Winning Bidder: Campos Coffee
http://auction.stoneworks.com/ES2012/final_results.html

回頂端
檢視會員個人資料 發送私人訊息
從之前的文章開始顯示:   
發表新主題   回覆主題    coffee forum, ?????, ?????, fresh coffee beans and tea house 首頁 -> ??? 所有的時間均為 台灣時間 (GMT + 8 小時)
1頁(共1頁)

前往:  
無法 在這個版面發表文章
無法 在這個版面回覆文章
無法 在這個版面編輯文章
無法 在這個版面刪除文章
無法 在這個版面進行投票